Jump over the site's section navigation.

If You Are Sexually Assaulted

Help is available and recovery is possible.  Talking with someone aids your recovery. Free and confidential services are available from Sexual Assault Prevention and Survivor Services (309) 438-7948 or (309) 438-3655.  Additionally, Confidential Advisors are available in Student Counseling Services (320 Student Services Building, (309) 438-3655).

Students often find it difficult to talk about what has happened and hope that by not thinking about it, things will get back to normal. That typically does not work; it is much more helpful to talk with someone and obtain support. Accessing services supports your safety and recovery and can assist you in accessing other needed resources. Services from the Sexual Assault Prevention and Survivor Services Program and Student Counseling Services are free, private and confidential.

  • Consider reporting the assault to police by telephoning 911.  Reporting can aid your recovery and prevent others from being assaulted. You can telephone the ISU Police at 911 or (309) 438-8631 to begin this process. If the assault occurred in Bloomington or Normal, telephone 911 or (309) 888-5030.
  • Know that most university faculty and staff must report incidents of sexual assault to the Student Affairs Title IX office.
  • The university is committed to both supporting your well-being and safety and acting to ensure the safety of our campus community and has therefore, established procedures for addressing incidents of sexual misconduct/assault and relationship violence.  The survivor, however, determines his/her level of participation in this process. Sexual Assault Prevention and Survivor Services and counselors are not required to report incidents to Student Affairs Title IX office.
  • Try to preserve all physical evidence. Do no bathe, shower, use the toilet or change clothing.  If you must remove your clothing, place them in a paper bag to prevent deterioration of evidence.
  • Take care of yourself.  Seek medical attention from a hospital, Student Health Service, or another health care provider.  Only a hospital emergency room can conduct the evident collection exam, "rape it"; Student Health Service cannot complete this exam.  At the hospital, a rape crisis advocate can be called to help you through this process.  Medical and follow up care are needed whether or not you report the assault

Other Suggestions

  • Talk with someone about your experience.  Healing is helped by seeking the support of others. Recovery is impeded by silence, denial and self-blame.  
  • Remember you are not alone and it is not your fault; you cannot be responsible for the actions of someone else.
  • Contact the ISU Sexual Assault Prevention and Survivor Services Coordinator (309) 438-7948 or (309) 438-3655) or one of the Confidential Advisors in Student Counseling Services (309) 438-3655 for free and confidential services:
    • Confidential information on reporting options and possible outcomes, resources and services, survivor rights and orders of protection/no contact orders/"Contact Restrictions"
    • Liaise with other resources and assist with contacting resources and filing a report
    • Assist with accessing interim protective measures and accommodations
    • On-going support and/or counseling

2018-01-30T10:32:48.943-06:00 2018